TeaTiff met Mercedes at the 2020 October Online Tea Festival. Having two kids and knowing that the tea world is severely lacking in kids tea I immediately bought some tins. I quickly found that this company is more than tea for kids. This is the birth of a new and wonderful kids story. I truly hope someday Disney will find her and make Bellasia come to life in a film!
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI. Online and available at these locations
- My beginning mission was kids tea parties and bonding with parents but as I got more into tea and research my “why” moved into more of health. I didn’t realize that juice had 6 teaspoons of sugar in it and was so overly processed that you’re not even getting the vitamins it promises. So now, my mission is to make tea fun for kids and introduce them into it and hopefully bring them into this wonderful world. My teas are fruit tisanes which my kids love but my daughter is now a teenager and loves all sorts of teas!
Most popular company tea(s)?
- Some of Bellasia Tea’s most popular flavors are Fairy Berry, Warrior Punch, Wizard’s Brew, and Razzle Dazzle. And, the teas come with a story that’s perfect for fancy dresses or dapper duds.
Does the company name have a meaning?
- Bellasia is an anagram of Isabella, my daughter’s name.
Do you participate in any charities?
- I don’t do any charities because we are very small but that is definitely a goal of mine in the future. Probably something dealing with adoption.
What is your (or any of your other co-workers’) favorite tea?
- All the royal teas are my favorite.
What are your thoughts on transparency in the tea industry?
- Every tea person I have dealt with that has flown over and know the people and the grounds the tea comes from. I’m not sure how to answer that except I would like to think that yes, it should be transparent but that goes for anything. I really don’t think the majority of tea people do, that they take a love and passion into it and only educate. I once asked a very professional tea person at the chicago tea festival about the natural flavoring and he said it’s like saying other spices on a label. I hate to think there’s a dark side to tea but then there’s that happy optimism
What role does tea play in our lives?
- Tea is so versatile, it can calm you when you’re stressed, it can wake you up, or make you sleepy. But my favorite is the bonding that can happen between a cup of tea. It’s just an amazing beverage that I hope I can bring to our little ones!
Anything else you’d like to add?
- I started this company because of my daughter. She’s adopted and we’re huge Disney people! But none of the movies had any adopted princesses so we kind of created our own story. On a different note she loved tea parties and when she wanted to start drinking real tea I couldn’t find any kids tea…which literally blew my mind. How can you have a bazillion tea sets and parties and have no tea. So we took our fairytale story and steered it with a tea idea and Bellasia was born.
“When our little ones are enjoying their teas, I want them to be transported to the land of Bellasia where fairies, dragons, magic wizards live. In Bellasia, dreams come true.”– Mercedes Wadkins – Owner of Bellasia Tea